Wrestling with Vibram FiveFinger shoes for the first time can be a daunting, even embarrassing task. The moment you summon up the will or the support entourage to make it to the athletic shoe store, I want you to be prepared for what is coming your way. The following is a step-by-step guide to trying on the ever-popular Vibram FiveFinger barefoot shoe.
1. Choose a shoe: Vibram makes a great assortment of styles from which to choose, each unique in intended use. The Bikila, for example, is Vibram’s running FiveFinger, featuring a running-specific sole and enclosures. The Sprint is great for water sports, the Performa and Moc are great for yoga and the Classic is great for casual wear. First, you must browse Vibram FiveFinger styles to find the perfect match for your wants and needs in a barefoot shoe.
2. Know Your Vibram Size: Vibram FiveFingers are listed in European sizes. Vibram has crafted a very handy sizing chart for men and women based on the style you want and your foot measurement in inches. Get that ruler out and see the sizing chart on their website under the “size+fit” tab.
3. Toes First: For many,fitting the shoes to the toes can be the most difficult part of the FiveFinger expedition. Begin by sliding your toes and forefoot in the shoe. Position the toes just before each toe slot and plant your foot on the ground. Now wiggle. Use your fingers as much as you can to guide your toes to their perspective places. You may have to count your toes. Don’t be shy, count ‘em!
4. Heel in and Adjust: Once the toes are in slide the rest of the shoe under your heel and adjust all the straps to your liking. Some styles have more adjustable straps than others so make sure you have found them all!
5. How They Should Fit: Once you’re over the initial shock of what your feet look like, step away from the mirror and direct your focus to your feet. Your Vibram FiveFingers might not be fitting correctly if you can bend the toe bumper over your toes, a heel is rubbing or there is uncomfortable tightness anywhere on the shoe. The Vibrams are meant to fit your foot like a glove, so make sure the shoes conform to your feet without being too tight . If you’re not sure, try on another size.
6. Take Them for a Spin! Now that you’ve stood in one place and decided your feet feel happy, test them out! If you’re going to be running…run! Walk around, twirl, boogie or hop in your Fivefingers and make sure you can feel yourself wearing these for your activities.
Remember that Vibram Fivefinger shoes may take some effort to get into at first, but this gets easier with time and practice like anything worth doing. Similarly, you will need to break your body into barefooting, especially if you are planning to run in your new shoes. You will want to wear them 24-7, but take it easy for the first few weeks and let your body adapt to this new way of moving. When you find the right style, size, and fit for your feet, you’re ready to rock the barefoot movement my friend!
About the Author
We are a small business based in Boulder, CO that specializes in making the world a more comfortable place through shoes. We hope to educate the world on the latest technology, awards, products and more that the shoe world has to offer and encourage all to enjoy life and take a walk! Find comfortable shoes and be happy.